Pick your own journey! From short circuit hikes along winding streams to long upwards trails that reward you with breathtaking views, you can pick your own journey.
For an overview of the territory, view the zoomable Rio Grande National Forest Visitor Map — Middle Region .
Colorado trails run from a short jaunt of one mile to an expedition of 23 miles. Come and explore our miles of trails and forest service roads that are just waiting to exceed your expectations.
Considered by many to be the wildest area of Colorado, the Southern Colorado San Juan Wilderness offers 180 miles of trails at elevations ranging from 8,000 ft. to over 13,000 ft. There are more than thirty trails on which you can explore this wilderness. The wilderness area boasts of 158,790 acres of rugged unspoiled terrain.
From short circuit hikes along winding streams to long upwards trails that reward you with breathtaking views, you can pick your own journey. Colorado trails run from a short jaunt of one mile to an expedition of 23 miles. Come and explore our miles of trails and forest service roads that are just waiting to exceed your expectations.
If you’re really up for a Colorado challenge, check out the various hikes along the Continental Divide. The Divide runs through the western edge of Conejos County through the South San Juan Wilderness and the Rio Grande National Forest offering the true adventure hiker an opportunity of a lifetime.
For trail maps visit the following:
- United States Forest Service: Access detailed information for Antonito, Platoro & La Jara area hikes. Most hikes include a Google map.
- Annotated Trail Guides and Free Topo Map downloads from Ouachitamaps.com: South San Juan Wilderness
- Rio Grande National Forest, Continental Divide Trail – South San Juan Wilderness Area: Great Outdoor Recreation Pages (GORP) – SSJW
“While climbing through a spruce-fir stand on a well-used game trail, following it closely as it passes from dense timber to sunny glade to hidden spring and back into dark, coniferous forest, I have the impression of walking through an immense mansion, with as many rooms and corridors as I have time to explore” -From The South San Juan Wilderness Area by John A Murray
Check out these books for detailed hiking trails maps:
- The South San Juan Wilderness Area: A Hiking and Field Guide by John A. Murray
- Hiking Colorado’s Weminuche and South San Juan Wilderness Areas, 2nd (Regional Hiking Series) by Donna Lynn Ikenberry.